6.849: Geometric Folding Algorithms: Linkages, Origami, Polyhedra (Fall 2012)
[Problem Session Notes]
Tensegrities: dot products, springs, software, sculpture.
This class addresses a few topics about rigidity/tensegrity:
The focus is then an improvised discussion with everyone about their
ideas for projects. We will discuss what's known/been done on specific
problems, brainstorm what would be most interesting for a project, etc.
- More intuition for the dot-product condition of infinitesimal rigidity.
- Why use springs to construct bars?
- More examples of tensegrity sculpture
- Tomohiro Tachi's Freeform Tensegrity software
- Make your own tensegrity following George Hart's instructions
The video above should play if your web browser supports either
modern Flash or HTML5 video with H.264 or WebM codec.
The handwritten notes and slides should advance automatically.
If you have any trouble with playback,